MacBook is an expensive entity and you do not expect anything to go wrong after you buy. However, in some cases, it does go wrong and you are a bit worried that it might call for more expenditure. Sometimes, users face the Macbook pro screen flickering problem. In this, the screen of the Macbook starts flickering like a CRT television. Many users panic while seeing the screen flickering. This can be solved by tweaking various software settings.
If you are also facing the same problem, then do not worry, this article will give you all the solutions. You can try all of them one by one until the problem is solved. I have explained everything in very simple terms so that you can easily read from here and implement it for yourself. Apart from this, I have embedded some very important information within the article. So now you can just scroll down and start reading all the solutions regarding the MacBook pro screen flickering.
How to Fix MacBook Pro Screen Flickering Issue?
In this section, we shall be talking about the various ways by which you can fix MacBook pro screen flickering. These methods include some minor software changes which will help you solve the problem. One of these methods will surely solve your problems. I shall also be talking about many important things which I have embedded within this article. Below let us start discussing those methods.
1. Restart the MacBook
If you are seeing any kind of problem with the screen and it looks like it is flickering. One of the solutions to solve this problem is to restart the computer. Restarting your MacBook will help your computer initiate all the software properly again. It will irradicate any kind of software problem in the MacBook which was initiated while switching on previously. Below, I have described how you can restart your Macbook.
- First of all, go to the apple logo which is on the top left corner.
- The menu will open up and from the menu, you need to select restart.
- Then go on to click on ” Reopen Windows”. if you want that the windows you were working with would reopen once you restart.
- Then click on restart. Wait for the MacBook to turn off and switch on again.
After restarting the Macbook, the screen flickering should stop. If the screen flickering persists then go to the next method.
2. Disable Graphic Switching
MacBook has two GPUs in it. Whenever you run a very graphic intensive thing on your laptop, the processing gets divided between two graphic cards. This is called automatic graphic switching. There is a standalone graphic card and an integrated graphic card.
At any time, the standalone takes the majority of the graphic processing. Sometimes this division of processing between the two GPUs causes a lot of problems. This might also result in the flickering of the screen. To solve this problem you can disable the graphic switching.
- First of all, go to the Apple icon on the top of the menu. Click on System Preferences.
- Now the system, preferences window will open and you have to click on the Battery option.
- After that look for the option “Automatic graphics switching ” and then disable it.
Now you have successfully disabled the Automatic graphic switching. There are times when this option will not be available in your MacBook which shows that your MacBook does not have two GPUs. So this is not causing any problem.
3. Rectify System Management Controller
Sometimes some fault in your SMC (system management Controller) can cause the problem of screen flickering. This part handles your graphic unit, power, battery, and many other things. This is why it is very important to rectify its settings. Below I shall be talking about how you can restore it to its default state. This is for the Apple T2 security chip.
- First of all, switch off your computer and then go on to disconnect the power charger.
- After this first press, the Control + Alt + Shift keys for sometimes(7 seconds approx) and then press the Power Button.
- Keep the keys pressed and then release them again.
- Now again switch on your Macbook.
This time the screen flickering problem should stop.
4. Check for Updates
This problem might also occur if some system update in your MacBook is pending. To update the recent system, you need to follow the steps given below.
- First of all press the apple icon and then click on system preferences.
- After that find the option “System Update”.
- Click on it after that.
- The Mac OS will start scanning for updates and then it will show you the things which need to be updated.
- You can then click on update now for those things which are needed to be updated.
After the update is done go ahead and restart your computer. This will install the software properly.
5. Clear the Cache
If your cache is filled with garbage data then it might also cause problems. Cache memory consumes unnecessary memory which might hinder graphics processing. Below, I am describing the method for cleaning the cache.
- First of all download Clean my Mac.
- Then open the app and then Click on System junk.
- It will start running on its own and show you the amount of junk that should be cleared.
- You can confirm the cleaning after then and the garbage shall be cleared.
- You can run a smart scan at once and the garbage will be scanned completely.
This will also check your system for malware and irradicate it once it finds it. Cleaning the cache memory from time to time is very important. It reduces the chances of damage to your system. I hope after this the screen flickering problem has been solved.
6. Reset the NVRAM
The NVRAM also causes a lot of problems. This can also cause your screen to flicker. Below I have shared the process of how you can reset the NVRAM.
- First of all, shut down the MacBook.
- Now again switch on the laptop and then press the Option, Command, P, and R simultaneously for 20 seconds.
Now your NVRAM is reset and the screen flickering must stop.
Hope the solution listed in this article helped solve the problem of “MacBook pro screen flickering”. You can try these methods one by one and then see if it solves the problem. Do also check if the power plug is alright. Apart from that make the modifications in the video streaming app as suggested in the article. With that, I am ending my article over here.